Whether you’re a seasoned yogi or a first timer, the benefits of yoga are undeniable: your mind, body, and soul – all merged into one during one yoga practice. Beautiful. But with more than 50 styles of yoga being regularly practiced across the country, which type of yoga is right for you?
A crash course on a few yoga styles
- Hatha: Hatha yoga is one of the most popular and widely practiced forms of yoga, it focuses on promoting balance between mind and body and includes poses for all levels.
- Bikram: Bikram uses 26 postures that are performed in a hot room, up to 100 degrees F, to promote flexibility in your muscles and reduce the risk of energy. The heat also helps to detoxify your system.
- Ashtanga: Ashtanga yoga is made up of a fast-paced sequence of poses that increase in difficulty in an increasing flow.
- Vinyasa: Vinyasa flow yoga is typically a 75-minute practice that focuses on moving from one pose to the next in a flow, moving from standing poses to seated poses, incorporating both balance and flexibility.
- Kundalini: This type of yoga is practiced to stimulate a powerful energy chakra that is located at the base of the spine, which brings a powerful sense of well-being and promotes higher awareness.
- Bharata: Bharata yoga focuses on aligning your spine, and this practice will also help to improve your posture and flexibility.
- Forrest: A more modern type of yoga, Forrest is a more fitness intensive yoga that will make you break a sweat for the entire practice. Postures are held for a longer period of time to strengthen your core muscles with the intention of strengthening and purifying the body, as well as to release negative energies.
You might also like
How to…Tackle (and Look Good at!) the Gym, Pt. 1: Dance Class|
The scenario: One of your girlfriends has been begging you for weeks to go to a Zumba class...
How To… Meditate By Smiling|
No matter what level of experience you have with meditation, a smiling meditation can uplift your mood, give...
How To… Meditate|
No matter what college throws at you, you always have one thing that you can rely on, which...
Choosing the Right Job After College|
The most common question we usually get growing up is what are you going to do after college....
4 Ways To Boost Your Metabolism|
Having a healthy metabolism means burning more calories more efficiently, as your body is constantly processing fuel in...