Shopping, decorating, going home, wrapping and the thought of relatives are all things that can make the winter holidays stressful. Here’s a Christmas countdown to help you get everything done without running out of time.
6 weeks to go… (Sat. 13th November)
Step 1: Figure out a budget
- Let’s be realistic girls, we’re students, and spending a fortune is not a good idea. Work out how much you can afford to spend for the Christmas period, and don’t forget to include things like meals out and outfits for both Christmas and New Years Eve parties.
Step 2: Make a list
- Start thinking about who you need to buy for, and then figure out at least roughly what you’d like to get. Start with the most important people, like close family, friends and partners, then on to friends you aren’t so close to and relatives you have no idea what to buy.
Step 3: Going home?
- If you’re going home for the holidays, book your train/plane/bus/lifts as early as possible. You might also want to think about whether you’ll be celebrating with friends/flat mates before you go, by cooking together or going out.
5 weeks to go… (Sat. 20th November)
Step 1: Supplies
- Picking up things like wrapping paper, ribbon, gift tags and cards now will avoid the holiday rush and give you more choices. It also means you can start wrapping as soon as you’ve bought stuff.
Step 2: Check your address book
- Think about how many people you’re sending cards to so you know what size box to get. If you’re posting any, check your address book is up to date. One other important thing – check the spelling of people’s names, you never know who spells their Lily with one L or two, and who spells Hayleigh/Hayley.
4 weeks to go… (Sat. 27th November)
Step 1: Hit the shops
- This bit can be both fun and stressful…start shopping! No explanation necessary.
Step 2: Wrap it up
- Whenever you can, wrap what you’ve bought as soon as possible as this will save you worrying later.
Step 3: Cookies?
- If like me, you love to bake (and more importantly, eat) but don’t want to worry about cooking in the few days before you leave for home/right before Christmas itself, why not try baking things you can freeze.
2 weeks to go… (Sat. 11th December)
Step 1: Decorate
-Make your flat/room look festive to put you in a good mood
Step 2: Secret Santa
- If you’re doing a secret Santa within your group of friends/flat now would be a good time to swap gifts
1 week to go… (Sat. 18th December)
Step 1: Pack
-If, like most of us, you’re going home for the holidays, make sure you’ve packed all the clothes, books, money, cards and gifts so that you don’t need to stress the day before you leave.
Step 2: Last minute wrapping
- Those presents you’re taking home with you for the family, the ones you still haven’t wrapped? Do those now.
You might also like
Best of the Blog World: Holiday Edition|
It’s the last BotBW before Christmas, so let’s get down to business here and share our favourite blog...
How to…Avoid Overeating During the Holidays|
The holidays are just around the corner, and this probably means some traveling, family time, and stuffing yourself...
Merry Christmas from ECG!|
Hello faithful readers! Just a quick note to wish you all a merry Christmas, happy holidays, and a...
What Not to Wear For Christmas|
Listen up ladies! Christmas is almost here! If you haven’t decided on what you are wearing for this...
How To… Make Christmas Muddy Buddies|
With Christmas coming up in less than 10 days, now is the perfect time to start planning holiday...