The real question is, who doesn’t like tater tots? They’re great for late night, and for a hearty breakfast side. But they’re also not the healthiest choice. The good news is, there is an alternative that is healthy without the cost of taste. Disclaimer: I’m not saying that this is the healthiest recipe you can eat, because they do contain bread crumbs and cheese, but they are healthier than your average tater tot recipe.
Original recipe can be found here.
What you need
- 1 cup of zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of cheese of your choice
- 1/4 diced yellow onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Spray a mini-muffin tin, or the smallest muffin tin that you have, with non-stick spray and set to the side
- Place your grated zucchini in a dish towel to drain the excess water, like you would do to drain frozen spinach. The importance of this step is that the more watery your zucchini is, the more watery the middle of the tot will be, and they will be more soggy instead of crispy.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, and grated zucchini. Also add some salt and pepper and mix well
- Using a spoon or a scooper, fill the muffin cups in your tin to the top
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until the top is brown
This recipe is great as a side for breakfast or dinner, and can be drizzled with sauces or skewered with a tooth pick and dipped in sauces for an appetizer or finger food.
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What are other healthy alternative recipes that you make? Share with us by leaving a comment below!
You might also like
How To… Cook Cheesy Baked Tomatoes|
Looking for the perfect appetizer to make, or even a great snack, that is healthy, tasty, and relatively...
How To… Cook Healthy Mozzarella Sticks|
Who says our favorite cheesy foods have to be off limits? Mozzarella sticks are awesome for every occasion,...
How To… Make Baked Avocado Fries|
With the new “superfood” craze bursting onto the scene, it’s no secret that you can do just about...
How To… Make “Skinny” Pasta|
Regardless of your stance on pasta, you no longer need to fuss about the health benefits when it...
How To… Make Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins, Perfect For Thanksgiving Morning|
If you want to use up all of that pumpkin flavor you have stocked up on this fall,...