Subscribe to Every College GirlThings Every College Girl Should Know Directly to Your Inbox
Traveling can be extremely stressful, especially if you’re travelling alone. Airports can be crowded and overwhelming and there’s a lot to get done in a short amount of time. Sometimes, a girl’s first experience travelling can in fact be a solo trip. Here’s some tips for the next time you’re on your on at the airport.
- Size. Some airports are small, while others are huge. For example, the Dallas/Fort Worth airport is roughly the same size as Manhattan. This can mean that you’re going to have to go across the entire airport to get to your flight. The night before your flight leaves, get on the internet and Google a map of the airport. You may not know the exact gate that your flight will be at, but you’ll at least have a general idea of where to go when you do know.
- Wear something comfortable. This doesn’t mean you have to look like a bum, but don’t show up looking like you’re headed straight to your best friend’s bachelorette party either. Nobody wants to trek across Timbaktu in pumps.
- Get packed early. There’s nothing worse than trying pack for a trip 3 hours before your flight leaves. Also be careful not to over pack. Trust me, a girl needs options. But figure out outfits that you can mix and match throughout your trip. If you can fit everything into one small to medium sized bag, then you may not even have to check a bag. Vera Bradley’s large duffel is seriously the perfect size, I use mine all the time when I travel.
- Make sure you check into your flight within 24 hours of departure. You can either go on the airline’s website, or they may even email you a link to check in. Many airlines will also let you print your boarding pass. If you’re not checking any bags, this means you can skip an entire step in the process, potentially saving tons of time.
- Arrive at the airport about 2 hours before your flight departure. This should give you plenty of time to get checked in and through security. Be mindful of the fact that boarding will start about 30 minutes before departure.
- Since you’ve scoped out the airport already, have a game plan. If you’re hungry, figure out exactly what you want so you can get it and not waste time contemplating. Be sure that you know exactly what gate your flight is at and make sure you continue to check it up until your departure. Gates can change which may mean you could end up on the complete opposite side of the airport.
- While also looking cute, you also want to make sure you wear something comfortable for the airplane. Flights have a tendency to be colder, so if you’re wearing a dress, don’t be afraid to bring a cute cardigan! If you’re worried about your feet getting cold, bring socks. You can slip them on and relax and nobody will notice besides the people sitting next to you. If you’re traveling alone, chances are you don’t know them and won’t ever see them again anyway.
- Bring things to keep you occupied. Flights can be super boring especially if it’s over 2 hours. Find a good book or magazine. Most airports have a convenience store that you can stop in pre-flight to grab some drinks, snacks, and good reading material.
- Most importantly, be aware of your surroundings. There are a lot of people in airports. Chances are, people will notice that you are traveling alone. If you’re buried in your iPhone while walking through the terminal, this gives people the perfect opportunity to steal something of yours or even worse, steal you. Personally, I keep my phone right in my hand that way if somethings happens, I can immediately call someone for help if I need to. The most important part of traveling is traveling safely and arriving at your destination.
What do you think?
Have you traveled before? Do you travel often? What tips would you give to someone flying for the first time, whether with someone or alone? Leave your comments in the box below!