As you may have noticed, a lot of my posts focus on beauty and fashion as opposed to real life situations. However, part of being a well-informed college girl is being able to survive in real world panic situations, like a dead car battery. You can call roadside assistance, if you have it, but you may have to wait an hour or more to get a jump that would take only minutes for you to do yourself. Here’s what you need to know to get rolling again:
2. Check your car manual, some newer models require you to hook the cable up using lugs, as opposed to clamps.
3. Find someone with a car whose battery is not dead. Have them park it next to your car so that your batteries are as close as possible. Make sure the cars are not touching, however.
4. Put the cars in park, turn off the ignition, and remove the keys. Now, pop the hoods.
5. Attach a red (positive) clamp to the positive terminal on their (the fully-charged) battery.
6. Attach the other red (positive) clamp to the positive terminal on your (the dead) battery.
7. Ground (that is, take away any built up electricity) the black (negative) clamp by touching it to an exposed piece of metal in your car (such as a bolt).
8. Attach the other black (negative) clamp to the negative terminal on their (fully-charged) battery.
9. Have them start their car, and let it run for a few minutes before attempting to start yours.
10. Start your car, and remove the clamps. Make sure you drive around and have your car running for at least half an hour before shutting it off, so that the battery has time to charge up again and you don’t have to do this process all over again.
It may seem like a scary thing to be playing around with car batteries, but it’s an important skill to know, especially since whoever is nice enough to jump you might not know exactly how to do it themselves. It may make you feel more confident if you have a friend or family member who already knows how to jump start a car, to have them walk you through the steps above on your car so that you’re prepared in an emergency. Car suaveness, something every college girl should know.
You might also like
Back to School: Prep Your Car|
Going back to school may mean a long drive for many college girls. Before you set out on...
Put This In Your Car Now To Survive Any Road Trip|
Summer is approaching. Beautiful weather, fun relaxation, time for friends, time for fun, and time for spontaneity. I...
How To… Buy Car Insurance|
Everyone knows that you can’t drive without car insurance. You see commercials on TV and hear about it...
5 Tricks To Save Your iPhone’s Battery Life|
If you’re a college girl with an iPhone, chances are you’re also a college girl who runs back...
How To… Make An Irish Car Bomb Cocktail For St. Patrick’s Day|
This beer-based cocktail is a St. Patrick’s Day classic, and whether you’re Irish or not and you want...