There is always those 10 seconds that pop up post-workout, after the cool down stretching has been done and you’re walking to your car or back to your place, sweaty and victorious, when you think to yourself – now what? The weights have been lifted, the sweat has poured, and now it’s time to refuel your body. While there is a lot of literature out there about what the “best” post-workout snack or smoothie is, I offer the following Green Protein smoothie, which is high in protein and nutrient-packed spinach that will help your body recover and help you to get the optimum results for your workout.
What you need
- 1 scoop of whey protein (or the type of protein powder of your choice, in a flavor of your choice. I recommend vanilla for this recipe)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 3 cups of water
- In a juicer, combine the above ingredients
- If your juicer or blender is a little on the weak side, blend the liquids first, slowly adding in the solids
- Blend well
This smoothie also goes great with a piece of whole grain toast with peanutbutter, and you can also add some plain, nonfat Greek yogurt into the mix for added protein or calcium.
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What is your favorite post-workout smoothie or snack? Share with us in the comments section below!