Sweet potatoes are being hailed as one of the healthiest foods you can grab – they’re packed with vitamin A and even vitamin C, and are a great low calorie option as compared to traditional potato dishes. Not to mention, they’re delicious! If you’re looking for a delicious way to incorporate sweet potatoes in a new way, read on to learn how to make cheesy sweet potato crisps.
Original recipe can be found here.
What you need (yields about 12 crisps)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese (or cheese of your choice, make sure it’s shredded)
- 1/2 cup of egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F
- On top of a baking sheet place a wire rack (for optimal baking), and spray the rack with a non-stick spray
- Peel the potatoes
- Grate the peeled potatoes, and try to squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible from them, using your hands or a clean paper towel to try to press the excess moisture out. This step is important because they cook crispier if there is less moisture!
- Transfer the grated potatoes to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add in the egg whites, cheese, rosemary and pepper
- Combine well
- Using an ice cream scoop, a spoon, or just your hands, scoop out a ball of the mixture that is a little smaller than your palm and set it on the wire rack
- Try to press the scoop as thin as you can on the rack, and repeat until the mixture is gone
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges of the crisps are dark and the slices are crispy
Serve alongside your favorite salad, with a yogurt dip, or just eat plain!
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What is your favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes? Share with us in the comments section below!