Apple chips are great because they’re sweet, crunchy, and a healthy take on chips! Because they’re baked and not fried, apple chips made at home are even healthier than the ones you can buy at the supermarket because there are less preservatives and you can control how much sugar you use.
What you need
- Two medium-size apples (which will make about one large cookie sheet of chips)
- sugar and cinnamon, to taste
- small cookie cutters (you can use a small knife, but cookie cutters are easier!)
- First, preheat the oven to about 200 degrees F
- Begin slicing the apples – the thinner they are, the less crunchy. The ideal side is about 1/8″ thick, and the best method is just to slice by hand with a regular serrated kitchen knife
- Once you have your slices, use a cookie cutter to make shapes out of the slices, the scraps also make good chips so there is no need to waste them
- Line the cookie sheet with tin foil or parchment paper, and line the cut outs and scraps so that there is none of the apple pieces are touching
- Sprinkle the apple bits with sugar and cinnamon, the amount is up to you. The sweeter the apples you choose, the less sugar you need, as many red delicious apples contain natural sugar.
- The bake time for the chips will depend on the thickness you chose, the thinner you slice them the less bake time they need. For paper thin chips, the bake time is about two hours. For the chips with a 1/8″ thickness, the bake time can be almost 6 hours. Make sure to check often!
- Make sure to store in a container that is not airtight, as that tends to make them soggy
And enjoy! These make a great alternative to potato chips, and are a great way to get both a sweet and crunchy fix in one snack.
What do you think?
Have you tried apple crisps? What are some of your favorite healthy snack alternatives? Leave us a comment below!