Regardless of your stance on pasta, you no longer need to fuss about the health benefits when it comes to this pasta recipe. It’s ready in about 15 minutes, and it doesn’t have to be covered in cheese to taste good. The secret here is that instead of a flour or dough-based pasta, which is where the carb overload comes in, this pasta is made with zucchini. But have no fear, you won’t have to sacrifice taste.
Also, the meat in this recipe is used for protein benefit, but can be left out for a vegetarian dish that is even lower in calories.
You can find the original recipe here.
What you need (serving size: 2 or 3 plates)
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound of ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- One 14 oz. can of low sodium tomato sauce
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- Bring your stove to medium heat, and pour the olive oil in a large pot over the stove
- Add the ground turkey and garlic in the pot. Break apart the meat and mix with a spoon
- Add the bay leaf, red pepper flakes and a dash of salt and pepper to the mix
- Then, add the tomato sauce and 3/4 cup of water. Make sure the pot is brought to a simmer
- Chop off the ends of the zucchini and cut each zucchini into 1/4-inch slices lengthwise
- On a cutting board, lay the sliced flat and use a sharp and thin knife to cut even thinner strips. Cut them to resemble fettuccine pasta strips
- Add the zucchini strips into the sauce and toss for about 5 minutes or until the zucchini is slightly cooked. It’s really yummy to serve al dente. But if you wanted a softer texture, keep cooking until the level of softness desired is reached
- This is optional, but dust with grated parmesan cheese to serve if you choose
And voila, a zucchini pasta that you can feel good about!
What do you think?
What do you think of this recipe? Have you tried to make it? What are your other healthy recipes that you enjoy making? Share with us in the comments section below.
You might also like
How To… Cook An Easy Dinner: Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken|
With classes starting up and our schedules getting tighter by the minute, eating a wholesome meal that you...
How To Make… Tomato Basil Soup With Grilled Cheese Croutons|
Yes you read that right: grilled cheese croutons. Half of a grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of...
Boy-Approved Recipes: Sauteed Italian Spiced Cod Over Fettucini Marinara|
Confession: I’ve been doing a lot of legwork in the kitchen over this past year, using a trusty...
A Healthy Power Food Recipe: How To… Make Quinoa Stuffed Peppers With Veggies|
Since it’s summertime, peppers are in season and the healthy recipe possibilities are endless! For one that also...
How To… Make Broccoli Cheese Soup In A Crock Pot|
I have a theory that crock pots are something that every college girl out there should know about....