photo credit

This Thursday I have a summer school assignment for you. But don’t worry. It’s all about milking summer and making it as memorable as possible. Are you up for the challenge?

1. Start with the end in mind

When you look back on your summer what do you want to remember? All the books you read? The number of movies you watched? The money you made? The new friends you gained? That flower garden you cultivated?

To do today: Start brainstorming what you can accomplish this summer. Figure out what you have to do, what you want to do, and what you might-sorta-wanna try.

2. Make a Summer bucket list

Go a step further than brainstorming and put some of your ideas on paper. Make a list of goals, like workout 5 times a week, read x amount of books, see x amount of movies, paint x amount of pictures, etc. Focus on goals you will actually accomplish this summer. But keep a list of the other goals (like cliff diving), just in case the opportunity presents itself.

To do today: After you’ve compiled a list, separate the goals into different time frames, like some goals will be finished in June, some in July, some will be ongoing. Then hold yourself accountable and cross them off your list when you do them.

ECG Tip: When you cross things off your list, try to date them too and maybe include a little note about how it went. When you go back through and review your progress, the notes will form a little journal to help you remember all the cool things you did this summer.

3. Make plans today

You know how you say “We should hang out…Soon!” And then it’s 2 weeks before school is back in session, and you realize you haven’t seen this person once all summer? Make a change this summer. Hang out with friends early in the summer. After you hang out once, you’ll have fresh in your mind how fun it is to be with that person, which will motivate you to hang out again. The memories you make with friends will make your summer seen way longer. Plus you can keep them forever.

To do today: Call up a friend or two to go to the movies or the pool within the next 2 weeks.

4. Live every day like its your last (day outside)

Make a point of getting outside this summer. It’s only summer once a year, so eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as you can. Enjoy a little sun every day (with sunscreen). Sunlight will also make you a lot cheerier.

To do today: Go for a run or a walk outside. You’ll get exercise and a tan without even thinking about it.

5. Save $$$

What better way to reminisce about your summer than to see the growth in your bank account. Use the 80/20 rule. Even if it’s just birthday money or a real paycheck, put away 20% and don’t touch it! The other 80% is free for you to use on clothes or going to the movies. If you start saving now, the money is going to last you many more happy summers.

To do today: Read 5 easy ways to save money for some more ideas on how to save!

6. Take mini-vacations

One or two days is really all you need. Make sure to finish chores and assignments on days you work, so days off are completely devoted to relaxing. Find a friend who likes the same things as you, like camping, amusement parks, finding a beach, reading in the sun…and enjoy the mini-vacation together. Make sure you turn off your cellphone during you escape and distance yourself from the notion of work or school.

To do today:

Request a day or 2 off at work a few weeks in the future and start planning for you mini-vaca now!

What Do You Think?

What are your plans for this summer? Leave us a comment and let us know!

Julie McLaughlin Author: Julie

More Every College Girl

1 Comment

Leave a Comment