Margaritas just scream summertime: long days, hot nights, and the sweet-sour tang of lime juice. Sure, you can grab one of those cans of condensed margarita mix, but you’ll end up with more of a slushy mess than an authentic Mexican drink. Then there’s the pre-mixed bottles of margarita which–though a little more authentic in their flavour and consistency–can be deadly in their doses. Instead, why not bring out your inner bartender and learn how to make a perfect margarita the real way. Then grab a lawn chair, some girlfriends, and a summer playlist and let the sun shine this weekend!
The Perfect Margarita
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1.5 oz. tequila
- 0.5 oz triple sec
- ice cubes
- salt (or sugar)
- shot glass
- cocktail shaker
- margarita glasses
- flat plate
- First you’ll need sour mix, a common ingredient in mixed drinks. You can buy sour mix at the liquor store, or make it by combining the sugar and water, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then adding the lemon juice and 1 cup of lime juice. Place this mix in the fridge until it is completely cooled.
- Now, you can start making your perfect margarita! Fill your shaker with ice and add the tequila, triple sec, remaining lime juice, and 3 oz of your sour mix.
- Shake well, for about 20 seconds, to mix all the ingredients and chill them.
- Set down the shaker for a moment while you salt the rim of your glass: wet the edge of the glass with a slice of lime, then dip it in a plate filled with salt to coat the rim. If the salt weirds you out, you can opt for sugar instead.
- Strain the margarita into the glass and enjoy!
What Do You Think?
Do you like tequila? Have you ever made a real margarita one at home, or only the slushy kind? Will you try this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know!
You might also like
Cocktail Class – Part 1: The Classics|
Every girl should know how to make a decent selection of cocktails, and the aim of these posts...
How To… Make Margarita Popsicles|
Popsicles and margaritas are great on their own. But together? It’s cinco de mayo magic. Taking a great...
How To… Make The Best Margarita For Cinco De Mayo|
Get cinco de mayo ready with a great cinco de mayo recipe – whether you’re celebrating with friends,...
How To…Make the Perfect Cosmopolitan|
Mmm, cosmos. Makes you think of your girls, Sex and the City, and, well, Cosmo magazine! This little treat is...
Sober Summer: 3 Yummy Mocktails|
I recently did a post on staying sober while at parties or bars over at College Fashion, and was...