I’ve been trying to grow out my hair for the last year or so. My strategy for doing this was to be gentle with my hair, avoiding hot tools whenever possible and always using heat-protectant spray; washing my hair every other day; deep conditioning once a week; oh yeah, and not getting it cut.
This has been pretty successful; my hair is at a length it hasn’t reached since prepubescence, but there’s one caveat: split ends. As much as I try to avoid them, my ends have begun to split. Rather than let them split out of control and sacrificing 2-inchs and six-months of hard work, I used my fall-back treatment and made a hair appointment.
Try this out for your split ends to keep them from splitting up the shaft and make sure to get the just the ends trimmed to get rid of the splits altogether:
Split End Hair Treatment
- olive or coconut oil
- microwavable dish
- plastic wrap
- deep conditioner
- Take a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil and put it in a microwave safe dish.
- Microwave for about 30-45 seconds, keep an eye on the oil to make sure it doesn’t heat up and explode.
- Dip the ends of your hair in the warm oil and gentle massage it in with your fingertips.
- Wrap your ends in plastic wrap and let the oil sink in for about 5 minutes.
- Hop in the shower and rinse out the oil with cool water.
- Wash your roots and scalp, but don’t scrub your strands or ends.
- Apply a deep conditioner to your ends for about 2 minutes before rinsing and getting out.
What Do You Think?
Do you get split ends? How do you manage them? Will you try out my treatment? Leave a comment and let me know!