For the last 4 months I have been going to an hourly session of Pilates 5 times a week. While my flexibility has increased immensely, I have not lost as much weight as I thought I would, and I was rather taken aback. I had assumed that because it was exercise, the extra weight I had gained over the past year would just melt away, but Pilates was more of a strength and toning exercise. After some reading up, I gathered that while Pilates was great for the body I needed much more exercise that elevated my heart rate. And then Google gave me Jillian Michaels.
Until 5 days ago I had no idea who Jillian Michaels was, and now I practically cannot wait to name my first daughter after her. For the last 4 days I have done a 20 minute Level 1 session of her 30 Day Shred and then in the evening I do the 35 minute Level 1 session of her 6 Week Six-Pack.
And while it is too early to see some results, I already feel more energized, and I feel like I’m on a mission rather than cursing under my breath because it’s workout time again! While it is suggested to do a session a day, I was so pumped up with the sessions and with her encouragement that I am doing another session in the evening. Being on my 5th day of double sessions, I am a bit sore but I’m pushing for amazing results!
Following is a list why YOU should invest in Jillian Michaels workout DVDs if you want to change the way you feel about working out:
- Diversity: Jillian’s 30 Day Shred uses the workout principle of 3-2-1 method: 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute abs. As a person who gets easy bored, I found that the quick changes of exercises keeps me very much on my toes! For her 6 Week Six-Pack sessions- you’d imagine that all you do is endless crunches…however guess again. You’re doing crunches 1 minute then doing jump rope with an imaginary rope the next!
- Difficulty: In both workouts, Jillian is joined with 2 other women and each woman does a different level of intensity. In both 6 Week Six-Pack and 30 Day Shred , you can focus on any of the three women as one does a modified beginners version, Jillian does the intermediate and the third woman carries out the advanced version. Needless to say, while I think that I am relatively fit- for the 6 week Six-pack I was jumping breathlessly alongside the female doing the beginners version!
- Escalation: In 30 Day Shed, there are 3 Levels of exercises. You are meant to do each level for 10 days and move on to the next. This is great because as you progress your body gets stronger and you need to push it more to achieve your goals. 6 Weeks to Six-pack has 2 levels which are to be followed for 3 weeks each. Having watched the workout of Level 2- I possibly might need more than 3 weeks on the Level 1 before I’m ‘promoted’ to doing all the exercise in double time with weights! However- Challenge Accepted.
- Time management: With the workout being either 20 minutes or 35 minutes, any college girl can fit this into her busy timetable. Now, I am not suggesting waking up 20 minutes earlier- personally if i did that, the workout would be an entire flop because I’d be half asleep and drooling- but try fit it in between your classes or even before a night out. Not only do you burn calories but it will get your blood pumping and get you bouncing before your next class or for your night on the town!
- Equipment: These workouts are perfect for dorm room college girls! All you need is a mat or a thicker towel as I use and a set of weights. Now with a college budget buying a pair of weights is hardly worth it especially when there is an alternative. i have two 1 Litre bottles that I fill with water and voila I have a set of 1 KG weights- just remember not to drink from one of the bottles while working out..you might just end up with one set of arm muscles stronger than the other side’s!
- Workout space: As long as you can do a push-up without hitting anything around you, open your arms to your side and not hit anything, and finally jump and not hit your head with the ceiling- you’re good to go girl!
7. Encouragement: Jillian was a trainer on the T.V reality show The Biggest Loser and this really reflects when she is working out during the session. She is constantly saying things ” you can do it!” or ” You got to push to see results”. Some people don’t like it when a trainer is partially yelling at them to do more jumping jacks- but I for one find that it really pushes me to work harder!
What Do You Think?
- What do you guys think? Have you ever tried Jillian Michaels DVDs and got amazing results? Or is there some other DVD workout that you have pledged your allegiance to?
You might also like
5 Apps To Download For A More Efficient Workout|
Want to workout more efficiently and still maintain your own routine? There’s an app for that – and...
In A Workout Rut? Try This 7-Day, 30-45 Minute Workout Routine|
It’s easy for your mind to talk itself out of working out when you can’t get a mental...
Add This To Your Next Workout|
Becoming bored is one of the major issues that keeps girls from working out on a regular basis....
50-Minute Interval Elliptical Workout|
To save pressure on your knees, skip the treadmill for a 50-minute interval elliptical workout that will get...
The Thighs and Buns Blaster Treadmill Workout|
Get bored of running on the treadmill? Who doesn’t. But who gets bored of walking on one? This...