One essential part of skincare is effectively removing your makeup at the end of the day. Unless you are the type that looks amazing without any makeup whatsoever, you’re going to need a way to actually get the makeup off your face. Conventional makeup removers usually contain chemicals that can sometimes be harsh on the skin, but have you considered trying natural alternatives? Read on for our list below of 7 natural makeup removers and see if they might just be right for you!
The Best Natural Makeup Removers
1. Coconut Oil
Up first on our list of natural makeup removers, we have coconut oil! Coconut oil has been featured in a lot of our posts over the years. Coconut oil is known for its amazing moisturizing + antibacterial properties. Directions: To get started, use a cotton pad and use a little bit of coconut oil. Wipe away your makeup gently with the cotton pad. Bonus: it’s great for removing waterproof mascara!
2. Olive Oil
Another oil boasting impressive makeup-removing qualities is simple olive oil. Olive oil is a gentle but effective option for individuals with sensitive skin. Directions: Create a mixture using equal parts olive oil and water, then use a cotton pad to gently wipe away your makeup. This natural simple solution can help you maintain healthy skin while effectively removing cosmetics.
3. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel serves as a natural astringent that can aid in both cleansing and toning your skin. To create a gentle makeup remover using witch hazel, combine with a carrier oil, such as jojoba or almond oil. This combination not only effectively removes makeup but also contributes to maintaining the overall health and balance of your skin.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel provides a soothing and hydrating alternative for drug store makeup removers. You can apply it directly to your face or combine it with a carrier oil to enhance its effectiveness as a makeup remover. This versatile option not only removes makeup but also leaves your skin feeling refreshed and well-nourished.
Another option to consider is plain, unsweetened yogurt, which can serve as a gentle and nourishing makeup remover. Directions: To test it out, simply dab a cotton pad with a small quantity of plain yogurt and gently swipe away your makeup.
Cucumber is not just delicious! Cucumber actually has skin soothing properties in it. To try this method to remove makeup, start by blending a cucumber to create a juice and then mix it with a carrier oil for a cooling effective makeup remover.
7. Honey and Baking Soda
Next on our list is honey. For this method, you’ll need to prepare a paste by combining equal parts honey and baking soda. This mixture forms a gentle exfoliating makeup remover that effectively eliminates cosmetics while providing a mild scrub for your skin.
Pros and Cons of Natural Makeup Removers
- Chemical-free: Today I personally do everything in my power to use any natural options. This comes to everything from the food I eat to beauty products. A good thing about natural makeup removers is that you can feel assured that there are no potentially harsh chemicals that you’re putting on your face.
- Environmentally Friendly: These natural makeup removers on our list are biodegradable and have a smaller carbon footprint.
- Save Money: The natural makeup removers on our list can be made with ingredients you probably already have at home, which will save you money. Any little bit extra in college helps!
- May not remove all makeup: Some natural makeup removers might not be as effective as conventional ones, especially for waterproof or long-lasting makeup.
- Allergies: If you have sensitive skin or are allergic to any of the ingredients, natural makeup removers might not be suitable for you. Always do a patch test before using a new product.
What Do You Think?
So, are you considering trying out one of these natural makeup removers? Have you already experimented with any of these methods? We’d love to hear your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions. Please share them in the comments section below!