… And not just any donuts. Banana donuts, drizzled in a brown butter glaze. The best part? It makes 10, and you don’t have to share. For your next early morning event, why get up early and make a donut stop when you can bring your own?
What you need
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk (or regular milk with an additional teaspoon of white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the brown butter glaze, you need:
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk (or cream)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F
- Lightly grease your baking pan
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the following ingredients together: flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and add the following ingredients: banana, buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and butter
- Mix until all ingredients are combined thoroughly
- Spoon the mixture into your donut pan, or try to make balls, or cut the shape of the donut yourself with circular cooking cutters
- Bake for about 10 minutes until each donut is baked all the way through. You can tell if they are if they puff back up when pushed lightly
- To make the glaze: over a low heat, heat the butter until it turns golden brown in around 7 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar
- Once the donuts have cooled, dip them in the glaze and set them aside (preferably on parchment paper) until they set
If you desire more cinnamon, sprinkle that on! Or you can add crumbles, sprinkles, or anything else your morning sweet tooth desires.
Original recipe can be found here.
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What are your favorite kind of breakfast donuts? Share with us in the comments section below!