Just because it’s a salad doesn’t mean it has to be boring. It also doesn’t mean it has to be 100 percent salad – why not toss a little fruit into the mix? For a sweet and healthy salad that is perfect for summer, try this wheat berry salad with red fruit.
What you need
- 3 cups of Cooked Wheat Berries, see below
- 1 large apple, any type of your choice (Fuji works great!) unpeeled and diced
- 1/3 cups of squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of pecan halves, toasted and chopped
- 3 tbsp of raspberry vinegar
- 3 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the orange juice and cranberries in a bowl, then let sit for 15 minutes while you continue
- Combine wheat berries, apple pieces and the pecans in a mixing bowl, stir
- Drain the cranberries and preserve the juice, then stir the cranberries into the wheat berry mixutre
- With the remaining orange juice, whisk in vinegar and oil until combined
- Then add the salt and pepper to the orange juice mixture. Pour the concoction over the salad and toss to coat thoroughly
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, allowing for the flavors to mix
Enjoy! Good for a day after preparation, cover and refrigerate.
Source: Eating Well
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What is your favorite summer salad? Leave us a comment below!