Since we just did a post featuring a decadent Christmas dessert, it’s only right that Hanukkah gets a spotlight too! Blue velvet cupcakes are an innovative take on the red velvet phenomenon, and they will look festive with white icing.
Original recipe can be found here.
What you need (serving size is 24 cupcakes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- blue food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and the mixture is smooth
- Add in your blue food coloring, starting with a few drops and increasing the amount until you reach the desired shade of blue you desire, make sure to blend well
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating each well
- Add in the vanilla, and continue to beat the mixture
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder
- Add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the batter, and combine well
- Add in 1/2 of the buttermilk, mix well
- Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, followed by the remaining buttermilk
- Finish off by adding what is left of the dry ingredients, the last 1/3, and combine until richly smooth
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins with the cupcake batter, making sure the cups are about two-thirds full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan
Make sure that the cupcakes are completely cooled, and then you can frost with a white sugar or cream cheese frosting!
What do you think?
What do you think of this recipe? What do you love to eat while celebrating Hanukkah? Let us know in the comments section below!