String charm bracelets, also known as karma bracelets, are a popular choice in jewelry for their minimalist yet stylish appeal. However, the hefty price tag of $40 or more can be a deterrent. Here’s a guide on creating your own unique string charm bracelet for under $20, allowing you to showcase your personal flair without breaking the bank.
What you need
- Embroidery floss in a color of your choice (the typical string used to make friendship bracelets, sold at craft stores)
- Hollow metal charms (the ones that work best are circular)
Making your bracelet
- First, cut about 18″ of the thread
- Laying your piece out straight, match the ends so that the opposite side makes a loop
- To make one side of your bracelet: Pull the charm through the loop, and then pull the ends through the loop, and pull tight
- Repeat steps 1-3 to make the other side of your bracelet, then tie knots at the ends
- You can fasten the bracelet around your wrist like a traditional friendship bracelet, with either a double knot or a small bow
Wear it with anything
String bracelets are great because they are simple, but add edge to elegance. Depending on what charm you choose, you evoke a style all your own. They work with just about every outfit for any occasion, and are also easy enough to make to sell to earn money for a good cause or for a school organization. They also make great gifts for the girls in your life, and are easy to personalize!
What do you think?
Did you make your own bracelet? Do you like the string-style? What are other DIY jewelry pieces you’ve made? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.