This summer, every college girl’s main goal should be relaxing. What better way to do that than lounging by the pool reading a great book? I don’t know about you, but I love reading. I’ve always found it to be very calming, and the ability to lose yourself in someone else’s world for a while can do the soul wonders. Like most avid readers, though, I know how easily you can get bored with a book. That’s why it’s important to find a book with a story that really pulls you in. Here are my favorite five books that you can read this summer.
1. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: This is an award-winning crime novel written by Stieg Larsson that is sure to give you thrills and chills. Spanning several continents, Larsson’s tale is one of murder and suspense that keeps you guessing. I’ll admit, the story is slow to start, but once it really gets going, you’ll find it hard to put the book down for even a minute. This is the first noval in Larsson’s “Millennium series”, containing two following novels titled The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest.
2. The Harry Potter Series: Yes, girls – I am a Potterhead. The idea that a magical world of witches, wizards, dragons, elves and all other things otherworldly is out there sends my brain into a tizzy. Written by J.K. Rowling, this seven book series is world-renowned, and for good reason. Rowling’s characters are impeccable, and the crazy adventures she sends them on are packed with excitement. If you think the movies are good, wait until you read the books. My personal fave? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the final book in the series. However, I suggest reading the first six before.
3. Water for Elephants: Recently turned into a hit movie starring Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon, Water for Elephants is one of the best novels I have read all year, and easily one of the best romances I could ever imagine. Sara Gruen’s intriguing story follows a Depression-era circus and the struggles of its characters to survive the harsh world of show business. This book is currently listed as #3 on The New York Times Bestsellers List, and rightfully so.
4. Anything by Sarah Dessen: I really wanted to put a Sarah Dessen novel on here, but I couldn’t choose just one. So I suggest you read them all. Dessen is an amazing author with the ability to create inspirational yet believable characters, and show the emotions that every girl feels at least once in her life. Dessen’s novels are romantic, witty, and full of suprises that won’t disappoint. Try Dessen’s newest book, What Happened to Goodbye, which came out this May.
5. Go Ask Alice: Though this book’s author is unknown, it’s gripping story has remained relevant for around 30 years. The diary of a drug-addicted teen, this book is a classic and should be read by everyone, especially teens. Alice could be anyone, she could be someone you know. Though slightly outdated, Go Ask Alice is an amazing novel that deserves to be recognized.
So there you have it: the best books to read this summer while laying by the water sipping a cold glass of lemonade. Could you ask for anything better? I didn’t think so.
What do you think?
Have you read any of these books? What are your thoughts on them? What are some of your favorite books to read?