Who says college schedules aren’t conducive to making treats that can be healthy and easy to make? Ditch the preconceptions and look no further than this vegan chocolate mousse, which is delicious and can be achieved with only four ingredients, most of which you can find at your closest dining hall or grocery store.
Original recipe can be found here.
What you need
- 5 tablespoons (or 1/3 cup) of cocoa powder
- 1 can (or 400 ml) of coconut milk (in order to ensure that the texture is smooth, make sure it says at least 75% fat on the label)
- 1 cup of tightly packed soft, dried dates (use around 18)
- Several drops of vanilla extract
- First, make sure that you refrigerate the coconut milk overnight in order to make sure it solidifies and separate. When you’re ready to use it, turn it upside down before you open it. Then get rid of the transparent liquid that rises to the top (or you can save it if you want to throw it into a smoothie later!)
- Pit and halve the dates (which can be softened if necessary by placing them in warm water until they soften naturally)
- Combine the dates and 2 rounded tablespoons of coconut milk and blend in a blender
- If you don’t desire the date skins, strain the paste. Otherwise, add the remaining coconut milk and cocoa powder and continue to blend until smooth
- Add in the vanilla extract and blend
- Blend the mixture until final desired consistency is reached, and add in extra flavor if needed!
- Refrigerate for several hours
This recipe can also be done in a food processor, which can help trap air within the paste and make it an even lighter, mousse-like consistency. The recipe is healthier than most mousses because it is naturally sweetened thanks to the dates. This dessert is great for kids, and looks great if served in small ramekins.
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What is your favorite healthy dessert? Share with us in the comment’s sections below!