If you’re a college girl on the East coast, or if you have loved ones on the East coast, here is our checklist for staying safe while Sandy wreaks her havoc on us through the next 48 hours.
- Make sure you’re stocked up on the following: batteries, water, extra water filters, milk, bread, protein bars or trail mix, and keep flash lights nearby
- Set your refrigerator to the coldest setting
- Take any outdoor loose items inside
- Fill your bathtub with water – if your water supply gets rough, to use for sanitary purposes like flushing or cleaning
- If you have car, make sure your tank is full. Park somewhere uphill, away from flooding
- Make sure you have cash, ATM’s can shut down during power outages
- If you have a propane tank, make sure it’s turned off
- Make sure all of your electronics are fully charged
- Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries and are working properly
During the storm:
- DO NOT go outside
- Keep as much water around as possible
- Do not use candles or gas appliances as heat or light sources if your power goes out
- Keep updated on your mobile device, listen to the radio, watch TV, and stay informed
- Food will keep in your fridge for 6-9 hours on the coldest setting, and up to 15 in your freezer. If your power goes out, avoid opening the refrigerator door to keep the cold in
- Do not venture out on the roads until they are completely clear
- If you are outside and see a down power line, always assume it is live and avoid it. Never drive over down lines
- Do not run gas-operated devices indoors
- Carefully inspect your home for damages, if you suspect any damages have occurred have the place checked by a qualified building inspector or engineer
What do you think?
What can you add to our list? How are you keeping safe during the storm? Add to this list in the comments section below.