In today’s appearance-obsessed society, women are constantly being bombarded with the media’s idea of “the perfect body.” As a result, many of us are feeling like we can’t measure up. Here are a few tips to help you feel positive about the way you look:
1. Stop comparing yourself to others. This first point is a major one. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt like hot stuff… until I looked at a perfume advertisement. It can be really difficult not to compare yourself to other people – both in person and in print and on television – but I encourage you to avoid it. Honestly, everyone has flaws, and everyone is unhappy with their body in some aspect. There’s no point comparing yourself to other people.
2. Accept compliments. When someone says, “Oh, I like your dress!” or “Did you cut your hair? It’s adorable,” instead of shrugging the praise off or negating it, say “thank you.” If you’ve got it, flaunt it, girl!
3. Resist negative self-talk. Remember the scene in Mean Girls when the Plastics are putting themselves down in front of the mirror? It’s funny because it’s true. I hear women all the time insulting their reflections, and it’s upsetting. The next time you look in the mirror, tell yourself how beautiful you are. If you wouldn’t pick apart a friend’s physical appearance, you shouldn’t be doing it to yourself.
4. Take care of your body. Drink lots of water, get plenty of exercise, and exercise on a regular basis. You’ll look and feel fabulous, and your self-esteem will go way up.
5. Notice and accentuate the positives. This tip goes hand-in-hand with number three. When you look in the mirror, notice what you like about your body, and make an effort to emphasize it. For example, I like my eyes, so when applying my makeup, I spend extra time applying mascara, eyeshadow, and eyeliner. It’s one small thing that helps me feel pretty, so it’s definitely worth it.
In our image-conscious culture, it’s difficult to feel good enough. Remember these tips the next time you’re tempted to hate on yourself, and remember: you are gorgeous!
What Do You Think?
When do you have problems with your self-esteem? How do you remind yourself how beautiful you are? Leave us a comment and let us know!