Confession: I’ve been doing a lot of legwork in the kitchen over this past year, using a trusty boy guinea pig, to master the fine art of College Girl Cooking. Like any cook, I’ve had my share of failure and success stories, but I thought I would put my cooking pursuits out there for any girl looking to make healthy and delicious meals for their man, roommates, family, or even just yourself!
Sauteed Italian spiced cod over fettucini marinara
1 lbs. fresh cod filet
Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 tbl butter
1/2 cup of marinara or your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce
- Boil water on medium-high heat, add a pinch of salt to speed up the boiling process. Once the water is boiling, turn down to medium heat and add the fettucini. Stir occasionally while cooking the fish in the steps below, over the next 10-12 minutes
- After defrosting your filet, season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper
- In a skillet on medium heat, heat the 2 tbl of olive oil. Then add the tbl of butter, making sure the center of the skillet is coated
- Add the seasoned filet on the skillet, adding the italian seasoning as it cooks. Saute for about 7 minutes, doing each side for about 3-4 minutes before flipping
- When browned on both sides, turn the heat off and let the cod rest in the pan for a minute while preparing the sauce and finishing up the pasta
- For the sauce, place about 1/2 cup to 1 cup in a small pan on medium heat, stir occasionally for a few minutes until it has reached the desired temperature. Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Remove the pasta from the stovetop and strain, serve it topped with the marinara sauce and the cod filet on top, and voila!
When I made this recipe, the final product is shown in the picture above, I served it with a side of baked ciabatta bread and edamame as a vegetable appetizer. Of course I also served it with some pink wine, just to add a feminine touch to the boy-approved meal! Substitute in and serve with whatever you’d like, making the recipe your own is half the fun. Happy cooking!
What do you think?
Have you tried this recipe? What is your favorite dish to make for the man in your life? Share your own cooking adventures below in the comments section.