On television the idea of making a long distance love work is often explored; however, I have always thought it was a ridiculous idea. How can you maintain intimacy and even keep yourself sane with your significant other so far away? Well, much like what would happen to a character in a TV show, my belief of long distance relationships was challenged this summer.
In the beginning of May before summer even officially began this year, I had to say goodbye to my boyfriend and let him drive over 550 miles away from me. I was a mess those few days leading up to it, and after as well, but now I have only a week left before I will see him again for the school year. I am more excited than ever to be with him and that is all thanks to being apart.
So here are some of the things that worked for us, and for other people, to help keep a relationship strong and possibly to even make it stronger or deeper.
Be Pen Pals
Nothing beats getting a letter in the mail, especially from your significant other. Try to compose letters to each other a couple times a month. It’s fun to try to put your feelings into words, write romantic poems, draw silly pictures, or just make a list of things you miss about him. Plus the anticipation of receiving the letter in the mail will keep you occupied and not missing your man as much.
- Every College Girl Challenge: Find creative stationary for your letters. Part of one of my letters was written on a Walt Disney World park map. I pointed out places I would love to go with him someday.
Be a Better Girlfriend
Use this time away from him to take inventory of what you do for your man. Are there any departments you are lacking in? Do you give him enough attention? When he talks do you actually listen? Do you know about his life? His likes? Next time you see him you will be conscious of what you should work on.
- Every College Girl Challenge: Ask him his favorite food and then learn how to make it. You can surprise him with a homemade meal for date night.
Visit Each Other
The summer can be an awfully long time apart for any relationship. If possible, visit your guy during the summer or have him come visit you. The visit will really help cut the summer in half, because half the time you’ll be planning for this fun trip. Seeing him for a short period will make you appreciate your time together even more.
- Every College Girl Challenge: If he’s visiting your hometown, be sure to show him where you grew up or your favourite restaurant or park. He’ll enjoy seeing another side of you.
Yes, calling each other is amazing. It’s awesome to hear his voice, but sometimes we get caught up in phone tag, which can leave you a little bummed when you can’t reach him. Texting can be so much easier at times. Plus, sometimes it’s easier to share things about yourself through text, so you two can really learn about each other over the summer.
- Every College Girl Challenge: If you have a camera on your phone, take your guy with you shopping. Take pictures of some of the outfits you try on and get his opinion. Believe me, he’ll love this shopping trip. :)
Once you two are reunited, I’m sure you won’t want to waste any time. A good use of your time apart can be doing some organizing and planning. Get yourself organized for classes by buying textbooks online or setting up binders for your classes, so when you’re back at college you can concentrate on your spending time together.
- Every College Girl Challenge: Find something fun for you to do on a date when you’re back together. Look up a go-cart track or mini golf nearby. It can be your next go-to for date night fun.
What Do You Think?
Have you ever tried a long-distance relationship? What are your tips for making it work? Leave a comment and let us know!